Skip to main navigation.

About McKenzie Electric Cooperative

McKenzie Electric Cooperative, Inc. (MEC) is a rural electric cooperative headquartered in Watford City, North Dakota. Our service area includes all or part of five counties in North Dakota (McKenzie, Dunn, Billings, Golden Valley and Mercer) and two counties in Montana (Richland and Wibaux).

McKenzie Electric began doing business in 1945 and currently serves 4,400 member-owners by providing electrical service to more than 12,870 meters. 70% of the meters belong to residential and/or seasonal members, while the other 30% belong to commercial and industrial accounts.

The electric plant consists of 68 substations and 4,386.15 miles of distribution and transmission line. Nearly 93% of the electrical sales serve commercial and industrial customers.

The Cooperative is governed by a nine member Board of Directors who are elected by the membership they serve. McKenzie Electric currently employs 51 full-time employees in Watford City and its outpost in Killdeer.


As an Electric Cooperative, we serve our membership by following 7 key principles.

The 7 Cooperative Principles

Powered by Touchstone Energy Cooperatives Logo
Connections Card Image Kids Energy Zone Cooperative Action Network