McKenzie Electric Cooperative is seeking qualified, dedicated and customer service oriented candidates to fill the following positions:
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Operations Supervisor and Foreman, responsible for building, maintaining, repairing and restoring overhead and underground power distribution lines within the scope of his/her training and certification in a safe and efficient manner within accepted McKenzie Electric Cooperative (MEC) and Rural Utilities Service (RUS) operations standards.
Responsibilities and Competencies: The following responsibilities and competency statements are essential functions of this position and are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job function. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities of personnel so classified. The person in this position may be asked to perform additional duties as assigned by the General Manager/CEO or Direct Supervisor.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: High School diploma or equivalent; or four years of increasing responsible experience in all phases of distribution, line construction and maintenance of electric distribution utility or related industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certifications/Licenses: Completion of an approved apprenticeship program. Completion of Electrical Line worker program preferred. A valid ND Class A driver’s license is required.
- Knowledge of RUS construction specifications, National Electrical Safety Code, OSHA regulations and National Electric Code
- Possess understanding of applicable RUS Bulletins and regulations, Cooperative policies, terms and conditions of service, rates, regulations and approved practices, particularly as it pertains to line operations activities.
- Basic understanding of how PC based Window’s software operates.
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of members or employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk or sit. Works outside with great physical exertion requiring upper body strength and stamina. The employee will frequently climb poles and is exposed to the risk of high precarious places up to 55 feet or more, installing line materials and equipment and often works in awkward positions requiring lower body strength. The employee will routinely lift and/or move a minimum of 50 pounds, occasionally heavy work requiring exertion of up to 100 pounds. Will frequently work with or near energized lines and with equipment requiring safe work habits and performed in accordance with established work procedures and specifications to avoid electric shock and injury. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus. Emergency work and irregular work hours are conditions of this position. Must be available for scheduled after hour call outs. This position is subject to work in adverse weather elements/hazards conditions such as high temperatures, ice storms, outages, etc and is subject to work-related hazards while performing the job. Subject to random drug and alcohol testing consistent with Department of Transportation regulations.
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties are as assigned.
- Within the skills and ability of journeyman-level knowledge of electrical line work, safely participates in the construction and maintenance of electric distribution lines and services. Performs all necessary activities of journeyman lineman, including all aspects of underground; climbing of all types and overhead work including changing out of arms, transformers, conductors, etc.
- Reviews assigned construction or maintenance projects and recommends to the Foreman or Operations Supervisor, the required personnel, materials and equipment needed to assure a timely and safe completion of the project.
- Performs maintenance activities on energized or de-energized lines to keep the system in a safe and operable condition.
- Assists in analyzing and evaluating operation and maintenance activities relative to the distribution system facilities and assists in the investigation and resolution of service problems to assure that installations are made in compliance with required specifications and to maintain member confidence and satisfaction with MEC electric service delivery.
- As assigned, investigates and remedies service interruptions and assists in evaluating the cause of the interruption to assure prompt restoration of service to members and continued service reliability.
- Conducts line patrol activities and takes corrective actions as deemed necessary to assure safe and reliable service to MEC members.
- Performs switching procedures when deemed necessary or as directed to facilitate operations.
- Installs sectionalizing equipment and assists with maintenance to provide continued reliable service within the required specifications.
- Hooks up single-phase and multi-phase transformer connections using the correct configuration to assure the end user of proper voltage levels.
- Disconnects, installs and removes meters to assure timely compliance with member requests and/or Cooperative policy.
- Reads meters and performs disconnections to assist Billing Department in keeping accounts current and accurate.
- Makes frequent checks of tools and protective equipment and submits recommendations for replacing defective materials to assure that they are safe and operable.
- Ensures the maintenance of assigned vehicles and equipment to assure that they are clean, safe and operable and that the required documentation is completed.
- Maintains truck stock of material inventories and completes required documentation for assigned vehicle and projects to assure proper material records are kept.
- Documents the materials used for construction and maintenance jobs (both planned and unplanned work) and coordinates with Foreman regarding any material changes used for jobs.
- Maintains a certification of first aid, CPR and other life saving techniques and performs these techniques as necessary to ensure that prompt attention is given during emergencies.
- Attends and participates in training programs for improvement of job knowledge, skill and safety.
- Follows policies and procedures; upholds organizational values; works with ethics and integrity.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations.
- Manages difficult or emotional member situations; responds promptly to member needs; solicits member feedback to improve service; responds to requests for service and assistance.
- Focuses on solving conflicts, not blaming; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to new and to others’ ideas.
- Speaks and writes clearly and informatively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Develops workable implementation plans; communicates changes effectively; prepares and supports those affected by change; monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Approaches others in a tactful manner; reacts well under pressure; accepts responsibility for own actions.
- Pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continually build knowledge and skills; shares expertise with others.
- Observes safety and security procedures; reports potentially unsafe conditions; uses equipment and materials properly.
- Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Treats people with respect in actions and speech; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; includes appropriate people in decision making process.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time effectively; sets and achieves challenging goals.
- Adapts to changes in work environment; manages competing demands.
- Volunteers readily; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Maintains and promotes a positive, professional attitude.
- Views the Cooperative as a unit of interdependent functions and assists when needed.
- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, public assistance status, status with respect to marriage, or off-duty participation in lawful activity in compliance with applicable law, or any other form of discrimination prohibited by applicable laws. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire in compliance with federal law.